At O’Sullivan Insurance we know that having Self Build Insurance cover is one of the first things that should be sought before you build or renovate your home. Self-Build site insurance is vital to protect your physical assets as well as to provide cover for your legal liability for accidents to employees on the site and members of the public.
Your self build insurance policy can provide cover for a number of scenarios including:
Self-Build Insurance for New Buildings and Extensions:
- Employers Liability €13,000,000.00
- Public and Products Liability €2,600,000.00
- All risks cover to buildings and materials
- When shopping for Seld Build insurance make sure you are comparing like with like. Insurance cover levels vary significantly and the cheapest is not necessarily the best as it may exclude some of the most frequent incidents that occur on site.
- Check if a policy can be tailored to the period of time you estimate to build your home and get agreement, in advance, on the cost if you need to extend cover. Generally, policies are available for 12, 18 or 24 month periods.
- Mortgage providers will insist on seeing a ‘Letter of Indemnity’ or ‘Notice of Interest’ from your Insurance Company to release funds for your build so make sure to enquire about Seld build Insurance in good time.
- Insurance is never a substitute for having strict health & safety practices on site. While it will relieve the financial burden of accidents, it cannot undo the delays, stress and suffering that is caused by an accident on site.
- Undertaking a self build does not absolve you from your obligations under Health & Safety legislation. You are as likely to receive a visit from a Health & Safety inspector as any Building Contractor. It is important to note that all scaffolding and temporary gangways have to be erected by a licensed scaffolder in strict accordance with the HSA regulations and codes of practice.
- Regardless of the period of insurance stated on the policy, they usually contain conditions to the effect that cover will end when you reach practical completion. These are construction policies and not designed to include your domestic belongings when you occupy the house.
- Arrange a household comprehensive policy in plenty of time before you or your personal contents are due to move in.
Request a call back from on of our insurance specialists for a self build quote today!
O’Sullivan Insurances, 39 Mitchel Street, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.